1. To prevent drafts from entering your home: Roll up a bath towel and place it under a drafty door or fill socks with sand or kitty litter and place these under the door to prevent drafts from getting in.
2. Change your furnace filter
3. Run fans in reverse: Counterclockwise rotation produces cool breezes; clockwise rotation produces warm breezes. Air near the ceiling will circulate around the room and can cut heating expenses.
4. Winterize your air conditioner: Drain hoses/pipes. Make sure there is no standing water in the air conditioner. Remove window units to prevent cold from getting into your home. Cover central air conditioning units.
5. Change the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
6. Make sure your doors and windows are air-tight. If windows are old - consider a set of efficient windows.
7. Install storm windows and doors
8. Add insulation to the home, if necessary
9. Drain and put away garden hoses
10. Make sure you have flashlights, candles, matches, battery powered radio, extra blankets, bottled water, and a week's worth of non-perishable food with a can opener, if necessary